The Green Spring, West Virginia plant is a wood preservation facility that is situated on 96 acres of land adjacent to the North Branch of the Potomac River. The facility was constructed in 1912 by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. In 1973, Koppers Company purchased both the facility and the land from the Chessie System (formerly B&O).
The Green Spring plant is a primary supplier for the CSX railroad as well as other various railroad contractors and short line railroads. The plant has the capability of pressure treating over 1 million ties per year.
The Green Spring plant was the first of eight Koppers facilities to receive ISO 14001 certification in 2003. The ISO 14001 standard provides companies with a framework to find potential environmental problems and correct them. The plant was also awarded the Environmental Excellence Award for 2003 by West Virginia?s Department of Environmental Protection. Environmental improvement and work place safety continue to be a top priority for the facility.